How a Combination Lock Actually Works
Date: 2019-11-30 17:00:02
They’re just about everywhere – from lockers and luggage to high-security safes. The oldest one was made around 2000 BCE. You most likely use one every day, but have you ever wondered how it works inside? Let’s unlock the secrets of a combination lock!
A regular combination lock consists of twenty components, internal and external. Because it’s meant to last forever without repairs or replacements, almost all of them are usually made of stainless steel which is coated to withstand corrosion. Getting inside the lock isn’t easy. But let’s see how it works!
Other videos you might like:
Put Your Keys In Foil, It’ll Save Your Car From Theft
12 Ways to Protect Your Home While You’re Away
4 Mystery Doors That Should Never Be Opened
What the lock consists of 0:43
What each of the details does 1:38
How it all works with a combination 4:39
Popular locking mechanisms:
– Padlock 5:56
– Cam lock 6:27
– Deadbolt lock 6:46
– Barrel bolt 7:20
– Chain lock 7:42
– Electronic lock 8:05
#howitworks #lock #brightside
– The inner case of the lock is home to all of the internal components, none of which are longer than two inches. This is the lever. It sits on a special support post right here.
– The internal disc spring keeps the combination discs under tension so that you can dial the combination.
– Additionally, inside the lock case are the shackle collar and a latch that fits into the shackle notch.
– The main idea here is that the shackle has two possible positions: when it’s down, the whole thing is locked.
– Another important player of team lock is the latch on the lever. It has a spring that’s hiding inside the lever.
– The shackle is free to go, and the lever springs back to where it started.
– One important rule of the lock is: the shackle will only come out if the lever can rotate.
– Cam one is molded to the dial and only turns when the dial turns.
– Each cam has an indentation, and a tooth on at least one side.
– Technically, there can be more than 3 cams: four, five, or even ten. It would make the lock a real fortress.
– Padlocks are easily the most basic type of door locks. Like a combination lock, a padlock isn’t attached to any surface but locks into itself.
– Cam lock is another super simple lock you wouldn’t want to use for a safe. The basic element in it is a cam that turns when you insert a key to lock and unlock the mechanism.
– Deadbolt locks are popular for external doors because they’re reliable, easy to find, and good for their price. The locking mechanism has a cylinder that goes directly through the door with a keyhole on the outside.
– A barrel bolt, or a sliding bolt, is only used on the inside of the door. It’s definitely not the safest of locks, but installing two of them on one door gives at least some protection.
– A chain lock is much like a barrel lock. The main part of it is on the door, and the catch is on the door frame.
– You don’t need a physical key to unlock an electronic lock, but a code you have to type on a keypad or a special card.
Music by Epidemic Sound
Subscribe to Bright Side :
Our Social Media:
5-Minute Crafts Youtube:
Stock materials (photos, footages and other):
For more videos and articles visit: