When many people think of the American involvement in WWII, they likely bring to mind the 101st Airborne Division (aka the Band of Brothers) and their heroics at Normandy. But there was another American infantry division that took part in the largest amphibious assault in world history (no, it wasnât D-Day) and then fought a year in Europe before the 101st even showed up. All in all, this division saw over 500 days of combat. They were the Thunderbirds of the 45th infantry division and my guest today was written a captivating history of this oft forgotten group of soldiers.Â
His name is Alex Kershaw and heâs written several books on WWII. The book we discuss today is The Liberator:Â One World War II Soldierâs 500-Day Odyssey from the Beaches of Sicily to the Gates of Dachau. Alex begins by sharing what made the 45th different from other infantry divisions and discusses why theyâre often forgotten. He then talks to us about a colonel from Arizona named Felix Sparks who always led from the front and fought side by side with his men for over two years. We get into some of the major battles the 45th encountered and their liberation of the concentration camp at Dachau. Alex ends our conversation with a call to all of us reach out to a WWII vet before they all leave this life (which is not far off).Â
- How Alex got into writing WWII storiesÂ
- What made the 45th different from other divisions?
- The interesting story of the 45thâs insignia
- The cultural and geographic makeup of the 45thÂ
- What the Nazis thought of the 45thÂ
- Why the 45th doesnât get much recognition, despite their 500+ days in combatÂ
- Who is Felix Sparks?
- Why Kershaw considers Felix Sparks the most inspiring figure of WWII
- The story of the Battle of AnzioÂ
- How Sparks dealt with incredible losses in his divisionÂ
- Why Sparksâ leadership was so compelling
- How the men reacted upon coming to DachauÂ
- What Kershaw considers the greatest achievement in American historyÂ
Resources/People/Articles Mentioned in Podcast
- The Bedford Boys by Alex Kershaw
- Battle of the Bulge
- Operation Torch
- Battle of Anzio
- Podcast: Untold Stories from the Band of Brothers
- The Day of the Americans
Connect With AlexÂ
Listen to the Podcast! (And donât forget to leave us a review!)
Hobo Bags. Dopp kits, wallets, messenger bags â if you need a new leather carry system, Hobo is the place to look. Visit hobobags.com/manliness and the code âhoboartofmanlinessâ at checkout for 10% off all regularly priced items.Â Â
IndochinoÂ offers custom, made-to-measure suits at an affordable price. Theyâre offering any premium suit for just $359. Thatâs up to 50% off. To claim your discount go toÂ Indochino.comÂ and enter discount code âMANLINESSâ at checkout. Plus, shipping is free.
Recorded with ClearCast.io.
Read the Transcript
The post Podcast #361: The Untold Story of WWIIâs 45th Infantry Division appeared first on The Art of Manliness.